Saturday, November 27, 2010

THE POET IN THE REVOLUTION

THE POET IN THE REVOLUTION
- Nonilon V. Queano/27November2010
 Translated by the the poet himself from his original Tagalog poem, "Ang Makata Sa Pakikibaka"

            “The guerilla is like a poet.”
                              -Jose Ma. Sison
         
          (Also partly inspired by Pia Montalban’s
          “Ang Umibig ng Makata.”)

Always the poet dwells in me.
Like the wind, she will blow gusts of poems
To quell the sun’s heat,
Even if for one instant.
I will gather her dreams of freedom and smell their fragrance,
Like sampagita or ilang-ilang blossoms,
To strengthen my faith,
While traversing forests and mountains.
The fierce rhythms of her verses will dictate
My bullet’s aim,
The music of her poems dissolve, like hot liquid,
The loneliness and weariness that come silently
Over plains and forests by day or night,
Her metaphors of struggle
Will be bullets for my gun,
And the fire of her love will burn in my heart
Every time I live with the masses

But if the poet should also be my lady love,
I would wish that she were beside me
Even for a brief moment,
So I can kiss, hold her.
Whisper to her that tomorrow when I leave
It would not be to depart,
No, I would not say goodbye,
Her poetry and my gun
Will always find each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment